Friday, August 27, 2010

New Quilt, New Class

I have enrolled in a quilting class at Kindred Spirits. I have not taken a sewing class since High School! It is not that I feel I could not do this pattern on my own, but I wanted the experience of a group project. My knitting friends encouraged this project and attended the class with me.

The new quilt is called Mirage ......

and involves cutting 32 different fabrics into 1.5 inch strips, then sewing in colour panels, then cross cutting in more thin strips. The end result is a quilt made up of one inch squares (or smaller) in a rolling bargello design.

The first day was sewing the panels in the colour combinations that set up the second cuts. My homework before the class was to cut the 1.5 inch strips and stack them in the colour panels. I discovered that my kitchen island was the perfect height for cutting the strips with the rotary blade and cutting matt. Since I rarely actually use it for cooking, it is good to know that it has a practical purpose other than the place to throw the mail and keys....!


My Janome 6600 popped out of the table and was easy (if a bit heavy) to take to the shop and set up with the portable table tray. Next class in two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment