Monday, October 26, 2009

Chapter One - the Machine

The inspiration for this new blog is my new machine. It is a Janome 6600. A lovely sewing/quilting machine that is loaded with features and designed to make sewing quick and easy. The computerized stitches and the press button on and off, and the needle up or down, and the knee triggered presser foot, all intrigued me. I have never had a machine that did not need a foot peddle. It comes with one, but I have not opted to hook it up.

I wanted to try some complicated pattern, and some challenging fabric, so my first project is a lined winter coat. The fabric is thick melton in charcoal and the lining a batik in blue and grey and cream. The pattern is a Vogue coat, # 8307, the middle length. The adjustments I made (and I usually customize the patterns in some way) is to add side pockets with a placket to define the pocket, and add a back placket trim to define the waistline. Also I have added a pocket inside on the lining, for keys or wallet if I don't want to carry a purse. My theory is you can never have too many pockets!

The coat with lining installed and topstitched around big collar...
The side pocket, top-stitched placket and cool lining....

Still to finish: hems and final top-stitching and big buttons on front. This new machine can sew through four layers of thick melton with no hesitation! What a delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment