Sunday, January 9, 2011

New Quilt....

I have finally decided the next quilt design, and started the first few squares. I am making this one in my old familiar way... small squares, quilted as I go, then huge job of banding the squares together to make the whole.

The design is log cabin, but with the twist of ignoring the typical light/dark or one colour/other colour organization of the "logs". Instead it will be black square in the center, random green and aqua pattern cottons for all the rest. The backing is black and white cottons, cut to 11 inches. I layer the batting over the backing square, then center the small black center square. Pin in place. Then I work the logs around the square, building out to the edges. Each seam is 1/4 inch and flipped and ironed before the next log is laid out. The seams effectively quilt the layers together and no further quilting is necessary, but as you will see I wanted to add detail....

When I am done, I measure and trim the whole block to 10.5 inches square, and set aside for further quilting. The top quilting is done by hand (old-school) and I use a black quilting thread to spiral a running stitch from the center out to the edge. The spirals are about one inch apart, and when I run out of room (near the outer edge) I finish with a small star detail! Cute.

I need lots and lots of these, so will plug away at them when the spirit moves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment